travel, lifestyle, beauty

Tuesday 2 December 2014

Santa hat nail art

Happy December! As we're all well aware, it was the first day of advent yesterday...and also my birthday, so what better way to celebrate than to do a bit of DIY nail art? I first tried nail art in this post here (one of my most popular posts!), which was so much fun, but I'm definitely still very new to it so I decided to try something relatively easy...enter the santa hat nail.


All you need is:
  • 1 x red nail varnish (preferably a bright, Christmassy red). I used OPI's First Date at the Golden Gate.
  • 1 x white nail varnish. I used one from W7 cosmetics.
  • Some form of precision tool to apply the white detail (since I'm a classy lady, I used a kirby hair grip).
  • Some Christmas tunes to help you along, and a relatively careful hand :)


Very simply put, start off with painting on an oval-ish hat shape onto each nail. I was going to try be more precise and describe it as a triangle but the mathematical genius somewhere deep inside me would be seething, with its distinct lack of 60° angles.


Then, add the all-important white detail of the fluffy rim and pom-pom on top with the help of a kirby grip. I found it easier using the grip because my varnish applicator was slightly too big, which makes detail like this more difficult to do.

The great thing about this nail art is that that you don't necessarily need to be super precise, since the beauty of santa hat 'fluff' is that it doesn't have to look too neat. This certainly worked to my advantage since I'm still a nail art novice!


What do you think of this? Will you be trying some festive nail art this year? I'd love to hear about it!

Like this post? Come on over and follow! BloglovinTwitterInstagram and Facebook are just a few of the ways you can keep up to date!
Share:

41 comments

  1. This is such a great idea, such a cute effect and one that I actually might be able to achieve since it doesn't look too complicated x

    Beauty with charm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes it's really easy and straightforward :)

      Delete
  2. Very cute and looks really easy to do! :) x

    Brenda BusyBee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...I purposefully chose a simple design since I'm new to this nail art lark :)

      Delete
  3. Aw they look so cute! Wish I could paint my nails better

    Julia x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, and thanks for stopping by my blog :)

      Delete
  5. They look lovely! I dont think my hand is steady enough for this! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot. Yeah a steady hand helps but this design is quite a good one for not needing too much precision, thankfuly :)

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday! I really love this nail art idea. I want to start experimenting with nail art but I am a bit hopeless when it comes to painting my nails x

    vvnightingale.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much. I definitely recommend giving nail art a go...I'm still new to it and don't do it a lot but it's worth it when it turns out nicely :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, and thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  8. this is so cool! I am definitely going to be attempting to do some christmassy nails this year!
    Emily
    xx
    http://emilyattemptslife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot. Did you manage it? Love to see if so :)

      Delete
  9. Looks cute! I want to try white snowflakes on red or some crazy Chrismassy aztec design. Can only do it on my left hand though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yup my left hand always looks better than the right. First world problems lol!

      Delete
  10. these are so cute :) I think I'd manage my left hand but I think my right wouldn't look too great at all if I were to try it xx

    Ioanna | Hearting.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's the standard problem I think. My left always looks a little better :)

      Delete
  11. This pattern is SUCH a great idea - LOVE it! :D

    Style Sunrise ☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, but I can't take all the credit. I did a bit of Google research for some inspo :)

      Delete
  12. This is so cute! I seldom paint my nails as some festive designs are really complicated but I would love to try this look soon :)
    http://zhixingeralyn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot. I don't do nail art too much but really enjoy it when I do. It's worth it when it turns out nicely :)

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Go for it...though maybe give it 11 months first to try this one lol :)

      Delete
  14. I love this nail look! So adorable! Unfortunately I'm a bit clumsy when it comes to doing my own nails and I doubt I'd ever be good at nail styles like this. But it's such a sweet idea for the holidays. xx

    Renata | Speaking Beauty UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! I don't do nail art too much but I like giving it a go every now and again...luckily this one worked out quite nicely :)

      Delete
  15. Awe! This is such a cute idea! Love it! It's so easy yet very creative!!

    Alexandra
    Glam O’Clock | TOO FACED GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot. The fact it's easy definitely appealed to me, being a bit of a newbie to nail art lol :)

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. Thank you, really appreciate your comment :)

      Delete
  17. This is super cute!!! Wish my hand was steady enough to do this!

    Beth Bethany Georgina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...I felt the same until I gave it a go, but it seemed to work out ok in the end :)

      Delete
  18. Love these nails! Super cute and (hopefully) pretty easy :)x

    My life as Anu | bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot...yes definitely very straightforward...just three steps really :)

      Delete
  19. This is a super cute look! I'm also a nail art novice so this would be great for me to have a go at :) xx

    Velvet Blush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot...yes definitely recommend it next Christmas :) I'm going to try more nail art this year so I'll hopefully blog a few more looks if they turn out well lol!

      Delete

Like it, love it, loathe it...your comments are very welcome and much appreciated!

Blog Design Created by pipdig