travel, lifestyle, beauty

Friday 28 November 2014

Flowers, an OOTD and good food

I initially started this blog as a distraction from starting a long-distance relationship with my boyfriend; cutting a long story short, he moved out here to Switzerland with me when I started my job but unfortunately - after realising there wasn't much work for him in his area here - he made the decision to start commuting back to the UK Monday to Friday after setting up his own business. So anyway, back to my initial point, I always intended for it to also be an online diary of sorts - to record my Swiss adventures, other travels, good times and general happy moments to look back on when I'm old and wrinkly.

Recently, I've gotten quite carried away with blogging about beauty and skincare, but I have actually been meaning to write a few more lifestyle posts, as I really enjoy writing them and recording a little personal post every now and then. So this post is dedicated to a lovely last weekend I had. 

beautiful flowers

First off, I recently celebrated 8 long, happy, crazy years with my boyfriend (deffo still don't feel old enough to be celebrating that much time with someone), and he picked me up from work on the Friday, with this lovely bouquet in hand. We didn't do gifts this year, but I did get this nice little chocolate surprise to keep me smiling. I may be easily pleased, but I can't get Minstrels anywhere here and I absolutely love them, so - to me - this was super sweet for him to get me these. Keeper fo' sho'. 

galaxy chocolate

Anyway, the main part of last weekend consisted of a lovely evening out on Saturday at La Cave in my local town Saint Louis (just over the border from Switzerland in France). My mum's best friend from the UK was visiting her (some of my family are also based out here!), so what better way to spend time together than eat good food and drink some good vino? I'm clearly getting older with a line like that. Soz.

Here's a customary selfie so you get an idea of who you're working with on this fine journey of cuisine I'm about to take you on ;) I went for big, bouncy curls (see how here) and subtle-ish eyes (using Benefit's Away We Glow set) with a nude lip, using Rimmel lip liner in Eastend Snob (recently talked about here) and Mac's Viva Glam Gaga lipstick in Amplified. I decided to try a bit of 'overlining' à la Kylie Jenner, and I have to say I quite like it, especially as my lips are usually pretty non-existent. Have you tried overlining before?

overlining

A night out post wouldn't be complete without a cheeky OOTD piccie. I wore a Vero Moda pencil skirt, simple New Look cami and these Primark (read Primarni) shoes, which I'm in love with at the moment. Not the comfiest on the toes I have to say, but nothing I can't handle (dedicated to the cause me).

outfit of the day

Primark

Primark

Onto the good stuff and off to the restaurant we went. First off, a glass of bubbly never goes amiss. Apéritifs are very popular over here; usually, I'm happy to go straight into the wine but it seems to be common practice to start off with a glass of prosecco. Such a hardship this apéritif lark.

champagne

Before I go on, I feel a need to point out this isn't my boyfriend's normal preferred facial hair. Yup, he's growing his mo for Movember, raising money to change the face of men's health. I can just about handle the p0rn star look for such a good cause.


wine

For starter, I went for egg with truffle and some sort of declicious-tasting ham. You'll have to excuse me for being the worst describer in the world because I didn't note down exactly what it was and, typically for me, the menu must be outdated on the site as it doesn't feature this. However, fear not my lovely reader, I can reassure you it was an absolute taste sensation. If you haven't tried truffle before, DO IT. And if, like me, you thought the only truffles that mattered were the chocolate variety, you're in for a pleasant surprise!

truffle

truffle

I'm a big steak lover, so I had to go for the fillet. The first time I ate here, it was bladdy delicious, cooked medium rare to perfection, and so tender I could have died happy there and then. However, this time, I must admit, it was overcooked for me (thankfully not too well done but still no trace of pink, which I enjoy), so I was slightly disappointed. I also missed a good portion of potatoes to go with it; as you can see, it did come with a couple of potatoes but it wasn't really enough for my dustbin tummy unfortunately!

fillet steak

fillet steak

Onto dessert, and this panna cotta was my boyfriend's pick. I had a taste (I'm an absolute liability when it comes to tasting his food...whatever he has, I have to have a bit...I just like to share the experiences haha); it was as to be expected beautifully creamy, and the little layer of clementine purée on the top sweetened it up a treat. 

panna cotta

Onto mine, and I'm going to be slightly boring and declare that I'm much more of a savoury food lover than a sweet lover. If there's cheese and biscuits on a dessert menu - and I'm not bursting enough to fit more in - then it's mine, allll miiiiiine. These little slices of heaven were sliced straight off the board, hence the odd presentation, but it tasted great and was just the right amount to wash my glass of red down. Nom nom.

cheese

What have you been upto lately? Do you like reading these kinds of lifestyle posts? I'd love to hear your feedback!

Like this post? Come on over and follow! BloglovinTwitterInstagram and Facebook are just a few of the ways you can keep up to date!
Share:

14 comments

  1. Congrats on getting to 8years! That meal looks delicious, the first time I tried truffle I was rather hesitant but don't know why I waited so long to .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, I was exactly the same...it's delicious!

      Delete
  2. This is just a lovely post, I really enjoyed reading it! Congrats on 8 years together looks like such a great evening for both of you. I just love your makeup and outfit, they both really suits you and your hair is amazing. Life for me in London is definitely not very exciting because with a toddler and no family on hand to help there isn't a whole lot you can do x

    Beauty with charm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much Alina. It was a lovely weekend. In need of another one soon for sure! I'm sure having a toddler brings just as much fun in different ways :)

      Delete
  3. Aww it's lovely that you and your boyfriend have been together so long. That meal looks so amazing!

    vvnightingale.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...yeah it's definitely flown so can't be a bad thing!

      Delete
  4. I love more personal posts! The meal looks delicious, I love truffle as well - so so good. Congrats on 8 years!! xx

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personal posts like this are fun :) Congrats on 8 years and I love the outfit :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just came across your blog and so glad I did! Really love your outfit and your writing style and posts like this are just my favourite. Congrats on 8 years gal!

    Laura | LAURAKATHREN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, so lovely of you to comment! Really glad you enjoyed reading :)

      Delete
  7. How gorgeous are those flowers! You're a lucky girl, you are! Seems like a lovely time and the food also looks super yummy! Congratulations on 8 years, lovely! <3
    xoxo,

    BerryBloomXO.com | Beauty & Lifestyle Blog 
    also on BLOGLOVIN 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...they were lovely and the meal was gorgeous! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

Like it, love it, loathe it...your comments are very welcome and much appreciated!

Blog Design Created by pipdig