travel, lifestyle, beauty

Tuesday 21 October 2014

The reverse bucket list

Bucket list

I love the idea of a bucket list; it's such a great incentive to reach your goals and do things you otherwise might take a while to do if it wasn't for the push of an existing 'list'.

I have got a mental bucket list sitting somewhere in my head, but I've never taken the time to actually write one, most likely some kind of weird sub-conscious decision down to the fact I'd probably find it frustrating to actually see so many things left un-done! I know this completely contradicts the idea of a bucket list, but I'd much rather see a list of things 'ticked off' to satisfy the 'doer' in me. You're reading the ramblings of someone who used to 'make' class registers as a kid and revel in the 'ticking' off of names as her sister was forced to act as various pupils confirming their attendance. What a hoot.

Moving swiftly on. This got me thinking the other day; why hasn't the idea of a reverse bucket list kicked off yet? Why don't we triumph fist-punch-the-air style in our achievements and goals already reached for a change? This 'reverse' concept probably has already been bandied about, but I certainly haven't heard of it, so do bear with me (and accept my apoogies) if this is completely unoriginal. To me, the ultimate fan of 'ticking' lists (yup, I said that), this is much more my cuppa tea...and much less pressure!

So, my current mission is to keep my own little reverse bucket list of things I'm proud to have done, goals I've reached and experiences I've, erm, experienced. I'm not going to write one here, as I think there's something nice about keeping it private for now; for me, it's more of a personal exercise to keep reminding myself of the things (big and little) I'm lucky to have done and never to take life and all its lovely opportunities for granted.

Do you have a reverse bucket list? Does it help to brighten your mood on a down day?

I'm leaving you with this gorgeous Hemingway quote, which I try to remember every day! I actually found this print on Etsy and am absolutely loving it...

Source: lettersonlove Etsy store
Like this post? Come on over and follow! BloglovinTwitterInstagram and Facebook are just a few of the ways you can keep up to date!
Share:

26 comments

  1. This is a lovely post I really enjoyed it and I think I might just start my own reverse bucket list, thanks for the inspiration x

    chasingrubieschasingpearl.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks for your lovely comment. Hope it works well for you :)

      Delete
  2. What a lovely idea we all get so caught up in what we haven't done or what we haven't got. We don't realise what we've already achieved! Xxxx

    Velveteenroses.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true...it's such a good idea, especially when you need a little something to make you smile :)

      Delete
  3. I think a reverse bucket list is a great idea, like a way of looking back at what you've achieved and experienced. Like you, an actual normal bucket list just doesn't appeal to me- a long list of things I've never done?! No thank you! Also I like doing things as they come, not because I wrote it on a list and therefore now must do it.
    This post has really got me thinking, thanks!
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. So nice to hear my post has got you thinking and made a little difference! Really appreciate your comment :)

      Delete
  4. This is such a good idea! I started something similar this year where i make note of all the good things that have happened to me during the year and all my achievements and keep them in a mason jar. On New Years eve I plan on opening the jar and see what wonderful thing have happened. I keep the jar on my bedside table so that i can look at it and it can be a nice reminder when I'm feeling down!
    Penelope x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and for the lovely idea...love the sound of that...it's a much more creative way to remember the good things than just writing a list! :)

      Delete
  5. This is such a great idea, I always stress to much over what i havent done instead of looking back on what I have achieved! I will definitelly try this out x

    www.beautywithcharm.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah glad to hear it...love to hear how it goes if you do manage to try it :)

      Delete
  6. What a good idea! It's so easy to think of all the things you haven't done and forget what you have accomplished x

    Cream Tea And Rose Jam // Pretty Honest Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...so true and something I hope a reverse bucket list will help me with!

      Delete
  7. Such a beautiful post and idea, I think we need to be more grateful and proud of the experiences and goals we have reached and done in our lives as well as striving for more. It's a great way to really appreciate life.

    Anna xxx

    http://madeupstyle.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad to hear you think so! I know it's probably not the most original idea but I wanted to write about it anyway as I was feeling particularly inspired by it :)

      Delete
  8. That is such a fabulous idea lovely! :)

    Style Sunrise☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've had some lovely feedback so far and really appreciate hearing it! :)

      Delete
  9. I really like this idea of you, never done it before, so thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem :) I hope you enjoy doing it if you get a chance to give it a try!

      Delete
  10. This is so lovely. I actually have a 'Things I'm Proud Of' list on the front page of a notebook, it's nice to remind myself what I've already done and seeing it in my own handwriting forces me to accept that I'm proud!

    Lauren x
    http://whatlaurendidtoday.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely idea; I guess there's a lot of variations of this kind of thing but, whatever it is, it's just a nice way to remember things to keep you smiling on those days when you need a pick-me-up :)

      Delete
  11. Aww this is such a lovely post and an amazing idea, i totally agree!! I started a jar of happy memories at the start of the year so that's something similar which will be amazing to look back on at the end of the year :) xxx
    www.sleek-chic.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...that's also a fab idea :) Someone else earlier commented about this, and I love it...just seeing a little cute jar full of little notes would put a smile on my face on its own so I might try this!

      Delete
  12. Lovely post. Such a good idea!
    www.skinandroses.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It's definitely keeping me smiling!

      Delete
  13. This is a really good idea! It's a way to be positive about the things you did accomplish and not focus on what's not done! :)

    ReplyDelete

Like it, love it, loathe it...your comments are very welcome and much appreciated!

Blog Design Created by pipdig