travel, lifestyle, beauty

Wednesday 19 March 2014

LUSH. . .you're SO lush!

I'll admit it, I was a Lush virgin until I popped in recently and was overwhelmed by the delicious smells surrounding me everywhere I turned! How had I not paid more attention to this place before?

I initially went in for a browse after seeing Tanya Burr rave about a moisturising massage bar (link) that looked lovely. Since I shop in Basel, Switzerland, I wasn't entirely sure of the translation, but soon enough the lady in the shop was helping me out, speaking perfect English, and recommending all sorts. I'm not usually one to get sucked in to a hard sell, but she was genuine, frank and just so friendly! 


The sales assistant explained a bit of history behind Lush and even told me they have their own sailor that they source seaweed from (am I too gullible?). She handed me a booklet (see below) and he's even pretty dishy (let's just pretend he's the actual sailor they use). I didn't realise they started out sourcing Body Shop with some of their products either! 


I really admire the fact they don't use animal fats and are against animal testing; they are also working on removing all traces of palm oil from their products, so it's great to buy from a company that's environmentally friendly while managing to produce gorgeous, good-enough-to-eat products! It just goes to show that so many more companies could go this way and still produce quality products.


So, the Dragon's Egg bath bomb was the first thing I picked up purely because of its gorgeous scent. For me, it stood out a mile above the rest. Think fresh, zingy lemon sherbet! It smells just like you imagine cleanliness would smell! I very, very rarely have baths (I shower instead...pretty sure I didn't need to clarify that but just in case!), so this purchase was purely lust-fuelled. I haven't yet had THE bath but when I do, I'll be sure to report back.


I found the massage bars and tried a few out before being drawn to Tender is the Night. My boyfriend was with me at the time, so the sales assistant was keen to point out it's a romantic scent with a wink and smirk...maybe a tad cringe, but it was sold to me as soon as she tested it on my arm. It softens and melts slightly with the heat of skin, so it glides on perfectly and is so beautifully moisturising. The bar consists of shea butter, jasmine, vanilla and ylang ylang oil so you can just imagine how divine it is. And I don't use that word often!

I also liked the smell of the Hottie, Shimmy Shimmy and Soft Coeur bars so they're next on my wishlist! 


Since the assistant gleaned I was into my moisturising, she managed to squeeze in testing Ro's Argan Body Conditioner on me. I love the fact that this can be used in the shower and saves you having to moisturise separately afterwards. I often like to jump straight into my PJs to keep warm after showering, so this was a big selling point for me! That and the fact it did genuinely feel super soft and smooth, very similar to the way your skin feels after using baby oil in the bath or shower. 


This body conditioner is full of gorgeous nourishing oils, including rose, argan and almond oils so it's super good for your skin. I have to admit I am not drawn to the smell as much as I am with the other bits I bought, but the effect is just as good if not better; the moisture does last and my skin feels genuinely spoilt since I started using it.


I love the fact these products have personalised stickers on them, with details of who made them and when. It really adds some exclusivity to them and makes you feel like it's been made with care and not in some factory by a robot! 

The only thing I would strongly recommend is that you literally take your pick of these date-stickered products yourself; the assistant handed this one to me, and I'm sure I could have got a fresher one with a longer shelf life if I'd have checked out the dates and picked it myself! As it stands, it looks as though each one of these has a two-month shelf life, so not too bad (and I'm sure it doesn't hurt to make it last a little longer if needs be).

  

Do you use Lush products? I'm keen to try more products so would love to hear your recommendations!

Like this post? Come on over and follow! BloglovinTwitterInstagram and Facebook are just a few of the ways you can keep up to date!
Share:

27 comments

  1. I'm a big fan of Phoenix Rising (purple, cinnamonny) but I've never tried Dragon's Egg.. If you get the Soft Coeur massage bar I'd love to know what it's like because I've been meaning to buy it for ages but couldn't justify the price with just the smell :')

    Ellie xx | http://theleobeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation :) I absolutely love the smell of cinnamon so i'm definitely looking out for this next time. I'll let you know if I get the massage bar...i'm still enjoying this one though at the moment...love the way it glides on! x

      Delete
  2. Love Ro's Argan!!! Also, generally!, potted products have a shelf life of 14 months besides Hsuan Wen Hua for the hair and Mask of Magnaminty for the face. Those have a shelf life of 4 months. The fresher products are usually in the back if they do their product rotation correctly. I always love the massage bars but I never use them up so I refrain from buying them now that I don't work for them. Fave bath bomb: the enchanter. If you love fresh citrus smells, try that one. It is incredible!!! Congrats on your first Lush trip. You'll be hooked soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thanks, that's really helpful to know they have a longer shelf life. I wish I hadn't lathered it on so heavily now in my panic haha :) I'll also stick the enchanter on my list of ones to try out next time i'm there! I have to say i'm loving their products so far, so I'm sure i'll be hooked soon enough. Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They get all their seaweed from Poole Harbour in Dorset where their HQ is, so they do basically have their own person that collects seaweed :)

    I love Dragon's egg its my all time favourite, the scent stays on your skin for ages, reminds me of palma violet sweets!!

    I'm trying out a few LUSH skin products at the moment I'm really liking Ultrbland and Ocean Scrub. Ocean scrub smells AMAZING! I'm putting a review up about in the next few days :) I've also done a few reviews lately of LUSH stuff that you might like :)

    Hayley xx

    http://hayleyjachz.blogspot.co.uk/
    

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah so the seaweed thing is very much true then...nice to know & even better that they're taking advantage of naturally sourced stuff! Just checking your blog out, and you really do have a lot of Lush reviews there! Lovely..look forward to reading more :) x

      Delete
  5. I've recently started trying out some Lush products. I have Ro's Argan Body Conditioner and I'm really looking forward to using it!

    IAmLinderella.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! You're going to love it...it's so moisturising and really nourishing. I don't think the scent is as nice as other Lush stuff but using a bit of the massage bar afterwards would help with that :)

      Delete
  6. I love a good lush haul! I have dragons egg too but yet to use, I couldn't resist the zesty lemony loveliness! :)
    Love Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah tell me about it...it's, errr, lush lol. Thanks for commenting :) x

      Delete
  7. I've used looooadddsss of lush, to the extent that I was first in line for the boxing day sale this year! I find their face cleansers are really great products and work amazingly but I never finish a whole tub before they go out of date! The face masks are really good as well, and their bubble bars! And you're too late for them now but Rose Jam and Snow Fairy shower gels smell soooooo good that I bought five bottles to last me the year!

    Nicola // pink-confetti.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendations...shame about the shower gels, but I'm hearing good stuff about the skincare stuff so i'll definitely have a look at it next time. It's much more pricy here in Switzerland so think I might have to venture in when I'm back in the UK for my next haul! :)

      Delete
  8. Hello lovely lady! i was originally popping over to say a huage thanks for your kind comment over on my Wonderful Wednesday post yesterday but now i am off to have a little nosey around your blog - your layout is beautiful! I am a complete Lush nut! I love to dabble in their bath bombs as a treat (my absolute fave is Rose Jam) but their skincare is BEYOND amazing. I had terrible skin in my teens and never found anything that didnt cost the earth that actually helped to keep it balanced and looking healthy. Angels on Bare Skin and Ultrabland are my two desert island products and i reeeally notice a diff if i don't use these gems morning and night. Next time you are in have a peep at their skincare. I am sure they would let you take away some to try, they did with me and i have never looked back xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks so much, that's lovely! I'm noting these bits to check out on the site later as i'm hearing so much about their skincare stuff so it's gotta be done! Thanks for the recommendations :) xx

      Delete
  9. I am a big big fan of Lush products and would probably spend all my pennies in there if I could! Their headquarters aren't too far from where I live and I'm obsessed with all of their stuff. I love using their bath bombs and would probably say that the Dragon's Egg one is my favourite. I have just posted about some of their products, i'll link my blog below and would really appreciate it if you'd take a look :) x

    kittensintophats.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment...I just checked your Lush post out and love the look of the ballistics you bought. My Lush wishlist is way too long now lol.

      Delete
  10. Such a great little haul you got :)
    Dragon's Egg is one of my favourites, although I rarely bathe, either, so I can't wait to read about your thoughts on it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, will no doubt write a cheeky tweet about it when the time comes! Can't wait to use it. :)

      Delete
  11. i definitely need to try more lush products! until recently i was a lush virgin like you (apart from their lip scrub!) but then i tried and fell in love with the oatifix face mask and retread conditioner and now i want to buy everything! Ro's Argan conditioner does sound lovely, that may be my next purchase x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlotte :) Will have to have a look at these products you've mentioned...my lush wishlist is way too long now but it's proving worth it from these bits i've tried so far! x

      Delete
  12. The scent of Lush lures me to wander into the store, I usually walk out empty handed though, the products don't really appeal to me with the exception of the Flying Fox shower gel, smells of jasmine which is gorgeous! It's very exotic!

    Halima
    Fashionicide // Fashion, with a difference
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. I was never really a soap person before but I didn't really appreciate the fact they have so many other products available, so now I'm a convert :) I'll have to test that shower gel next time I'm there :)

      Delete
  13. Another Lush Virgin! I've seen a couple of posts lately from people who have never been before and am so glad you've found them! I love so may of their products and although I don't use them on a regular basis I save them for "treats". My favourite is the Avobath ballistic and follow it with the Soft Coeur massage bar which I use as a solid moisturiser rather than a massage bar (super moisturising!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, i'm a Lush convert!! They're pretty pricey here in Switzerland so I think I'll be saving it for treats too and stocking up when I'm back in the UK visiting! Thanks for the recommendations...I'm loving the massage bar at the mo!

      Delete
  14. Dragon's Egg is gorgeous! I'd definitely recommend Honey Bee too. I love using them because they're so environmentally friendly and 100% against animal testing. They often run really insightful campaigns, they've got a great ethos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by; totally agree with your comment. I'll definitely have to try Honey Bee next time I drop in :)

      Delete

Like it, love it, loathe it...your comments are very welcome and much appreciated!

Blog Design Created by pipdig